A system administrator manages and maintains various software systems such as production web servers, platforms, and tools that are critical to the production environment and the productivity of other employees. We expect a system admin to be an expert in working with many kinds of computing environments, diagnosing software issues, and applying solutions to keep our systems running. A good system administrator plays a critical role in keeping software development teams running smoothly.
- Manage, configure, and maintain production servers. These include server machines running our various user-facing services. Services include, but are not limited to, Apache, Nginx, MySQL, PostgreSQL, PHP, Python, Redis, RabbitMQ, Docker, VMWare, KVM, Tensorflow, PyTorch, etc.
- We do not expect candidates to be familiar with everything, but a good candidate should be able to use the Internet to find information, learn new technologies, and find solutions to technical problems
- Monitor and troubleshoot any server issues in order to keep the system available at all times
- Maintain, diagnose, and fix issues related to internal computing platforms such as internal servers, software incompatibility, software installations, operating systems.
- We do not expect our system admins to write programs, but knowing basic shell scripting and common Linux commands is definitely critical. Writing/Running scripts is also part of the job.
- Conduct some basic research about tools, frameworks, and software related to job functions in order to identify and apply solutions to the system issues at hand.
- General IT tasks such as setting up network/wifi, configuring office equipment such as laptops, printers, troubleshooting general IT problems encountered by other employees.
Preferred requirements & competencies
- Familiarity with Linux and Windows as an administrator
- At least 3 years working experiences in system admin/IT support/Infrastructure or related roles
- Understanding of computer software and hardware systems
- Understanding of computer network
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Ability to quickly identify problems and implement solutions with minimal downtime
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Passionate about technology and eager to learn